Financial Support for HE
Financial Support for HE – are you eligible?
Financial help may be available depending on your individual circumstances. Here is a general guide to the main types of support that you may be able to access:
- Tuition Fee Loan – all full-time students can apply for this loan. It is paid directly to your university or college and has to be paid back once you are earning over a certain amount.
- Maintenance Loan for Living Costs – all full-time students can also apply to Student Loans Company for a maintenance loan to help with living expenses. The amount you can borrow is dependent on your circumstances. As with the tuition fee loan repayments start when you are earning over a certain amount. Interest rates are low and are linked to inflation.
- Maintenance Grant for Living Costs – this is a non-repayable grant which may be available to some students, and is dependent on household income.
- Special Support Grant - this is a non-repayable grant which may be available to some students, depending on your personal circumstances
- College HE Fund - if you are struggling with the cost for HE you may be able to gain some financial support through the college. To be eligible you should have already taken out a Student Finance Loan for your tuition and have good attendance. For more information please contact Student Support on 01895 853535.
The information above is based on the financial support available to students from the UK studying on a full-time HE course.
For more information, to find out if you are eligible for financial support and to use the calculator to help you get an estimate of the funding you may be eligible for visit
Your Local Education Authority may also provide you with more information.