saman-rafiq-and-ho-ting-liu
Students and staff were celebrating another record year of A Level results at Uxbridge College. Saman Rafiq (facing) and Ho Ting Liu were two top achievers.

Uxbridge College students and staff were celebrating when A Level results arrived - bringing a raft of high-performers along with a 99% pass rate.

In addition to the 99% pass rate at grades A*- E, the pass rate at grades A* - C improved by 6% on the previous year.

Top performers included:

Illona Swiatkowska (18), from Slough, who took A Levels in Maths, Chemistry, Further Maths and Biology. She achieved A* grades in Maths and Chemistry, and A grades in Further Maths and Biology. She is now expected to take up a place to do an MSci in Medicinal Chemistry at University College London.

Illona said: "I love lab work and I love being challenged, and studying at Uxbridge College has given me a chance to do that and more.

"When I first came here I was shy but the people here have really helped me improve my confidence.

"I have had a very good experience at Uxbridge College. The teachers know how to teach and they have been so helpful. There are loads of really nice people here - it is very mixed and I enjoy that."

Naomi Haysum (19), of Rickmansworth achieved A* grades in Psychology and Sociology, and As in Biology, and Government & Politics. Naomi also did her GCSEs at Uxbridge College. She is now going on to Kingston University to take a degree in Midwifery.

Naomi said: "I am so relieved and I am really looking forward to going to university now. I want to thank all my teachers, they have been brilliant."

Ho Ting Liu (19), of Harrow, achieved an A* in Maths and As in Chemistry, Further Maths, and Government & Politics. She will now be going to Warwick University to do a BSc in Economics.

Ho Ting said: "I am so happy to be going to university - my first choice was Warwick so I am thrilled to have got good enough grades. I found out I had got my place this morning on the internet, but I only knew my grades when I came in to college.

Arozo Rustamkhail (19), of Hill Lane, Ruislip, who achieved A*s in Biology and Maths, and an A in Chemistry. Her brother Rabnawaz, has been studying AS Levels this year at Uxbridge College and also did very well, achieving A grades in Business Studies, Maths and Physics, and a B in Information and Communication Technology.

Arozo said: "I was so scared because my university place was relying on it. I was up nearly all night checking UCAS to see if I had got my place at Kings College to do a BSc in Biomedical Science. I found out at 9am I had got in - I am so pleased and relieved!"

Rabnawaz, who will continue his studies at Uxbridge College, said: "I was not so worried - I felt more confident."

Venice Genodifa from Hillingdon got grade As in Maths, Biology and Chemistry and is going to UCL.

She said: "I was surprised to get all As - last year I only got a C in Biology. I have worked hard to improve and my teachers have really helped me."

Saman Rafiq (19), of Tollgate Drive, Hayes, got grade As in Maths, Biology and Chemistry and is going to study Dentistry at Queen Mary's College.

She said: "I am lucky to have done so well, I've had good teachers and good resources. I am really excited and looking forward to my degree."

Facts and figures for A Levels (A2) for Uxbridge College 2010:

* 99% pass rate at grades A*- E
* Pass rate at grades A*- C 67% - up 6%
* A*- B grades up 7% compared to 2009
* 16 subjects out of 19 have matched or improved their pass rates compared to 2009
* 15 subjects at A*- E showed a 100% pass rate including all three sciences.

Dr Darrell DeSouza, Vice Principal for Curriculum and Standards, said: "I am extremely pleased that Uxbridge College has been able to maintain this upward trajectory in terms of its results. In such a competitive environment for university places, every grade becomes important to our learners and it is terrific to see so many people doing so well.

"I am very pleased to see the grades allow our students every chance of securing their places on Higher Education courses and furthering their career opportunities. We have seen some brilliant individual results. These results are not givens and come about through hard work and dedication from our students, and expert guidance and tuition from our staff.

"Our learners do not always come with the strongest of academic backgrounds, and it's great to see the enormous value that the College can add in such a short period of time to allow them to further their goals.

"The very special learning environment that Uxbridge College and our sixth form centre The Academy is so good at providing has played no small part in these successes.

"We also have a very good set of AS grades with 53% achieving grades A - C, showing a 12% improvement compared to 2009. We would also like to congratulate our many vocational learners who go on to further study, Higher Education, or the job of their choice, whose qualifications include BTECs, access courses and technical training.

"This year Uxbridge College has also become the first institution in Hillingdon to have students completing the new Advanced Diploma in Engineering at Level 3 - the equivalent to A Level standard. We are delighted to show a 100% achievement rate in this qualification."

News

December 2016
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016