From beauty therapy lecturer known for inspiring her students and for her 'fantastic shoes,' to a section manger who helps adult learners get on to free courses, staff at Uxbridge College were rewarded for their efforts.

Hillingdon Council's Chief Executive, Hugh Dunnachie, helped present awards and spoke to the College's 350 staff at the recent event.

Speaking after the event Laraine Smith, Principal of Uxbridge College, said: "I would like to congratulate all our winners today - and indeed all our staff, whether winners or not, who make Uxbridge College what it is today.

"Our links with Hillingdon Council are invaluable in achieving our aims and bringing us constantly closer to our community. Over the years many of the council's staff have done courses through their employer including everything from bookkeeping to food hygiene to childcare, and of course many others have been students here under their own initiative. We would like to thank Hugh and everyone at Hillingdon Council for all their support."

Mr Dunnachie said: "I am absolutely delighted to be here on behalf of Hillingdon Council for this year's Star Awards and to help celebrate the achievements of the College, particularly of its staff. I was so pleased to hear about the College's success rates for 2005-6 which put you first in London for educating young people, and more recently achieving the 'new standard' of employer responsiveness as one of the first in the country.

"It is good to see Uxbridge College creating achievement, promoting workplace skills and supporting local prosperity - goals Hillingdon Council is very happy to be working in partnership to help achieve. Uxbridge College is a huge asset to our community and a key player in delivering excellent services to everyone in the borough.

"Well done to everyone who has achieved a Star Award today."

A selection from the winning nominations for the annual awards, which were made by colleagues, included:

Unsung Hero:
Jackie Harris, PA to Curriculum Directors
"Always has a smile on their face and such a welcoming manner … quite frankly a dream to work alongside … efficient, extremely helpful and motivates those around them with their enthusiasm."

Unsung Hero:
Danny Flynn, Site Officer
"What would we do without their helpful manner and Aussie quips?! They are always on hand to help staff and can be seen wandering through the corridors fixing faults or delivering supplies. I am, of couse, referring to "DAN, the fix it man!"

Unsung Hero:
Martin Green, Course Team Leader, Computing & IT Applications
"Extensive experience behind them and their knowledge and advice have been invaluable to both staff and students. Always willing to give their time - yes - they may complain - but it is all noise and hides a genuinely kind and thoughtful person."

Unsung Hero:
Gurveen Ruprah, IT Systems & Support Development Officer
"Able to explain technical terms in a way that is easy to understand, happy to answer questions, and re-clarify things countless times."

Work with Employers:
Giles Strachan, Section Manager: ESOL Outreach
"Excellent management of a new and challenging area, including publicly-funded courses free to adult learners in work such as large ESF and Train to Gain Courses, and English as a Foreign Language. Always willing to give extra time to students and staff who need support. Always cheerful and polite - a pleasure to work with."

Teacher of the Year:
Louise Dale, Course Team Leader, Hairdressing
"Consistently high attendance from their tutor groups. Students say they enjoy and look forward to coming to their lessons. Motivates staff by providing training to improve their teaching and learning practice."

Curriculum Manager of the Year:
Moira Murray Hair, Hair, Beauty & Hospitality
"Their support over the last year has been invaluable and without their support, I doubt I would have made it through the year. Having observed many of their lessons, I can see how they inspire and motivate their students, and I know how much they think of this person. I only hope one day I can become as much of a Star teacher as they are. They will even communicate via text message on a Sunday afternoon if it's needed to offer support and guidance. Always looks great and has some fantastic shoes!"

Other winners were:
Teaching & Supporting Students
Julie Ede, Lecturer, Travel & Tourism
Nital Patel, Lecturer, ICT
Steffan Thomas, CTL, Sport.

Support for Learners
Anthony Powell, A/C, Computing
Jay Raj, eLearning Action Point Assistant
Naomi Craze, Technician, Beauty Therapy
Sharon Bell, Senior Student Support Officer.

Customer Service
Jo Butcher, HR Recruitment Co-ordinator
Rachel Terry, Administrator, Student Services.

Work with Employers
Charlotte Moseley, CTL, Early Years, H & SC

Part-Time Worker
Debbie Healy, Attendance Co-Ordinator, Hair & Beauty
Gary Grimme, Lecturer, Computing & IT.

Impact on Learning - STAR Award of the Year
Marc Jordan, Section Manager, ESOL (Vocational Link).

Dream Team
e-Learning Action Point Team.

October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
December 2015