Uxbridge College students are looking to the future after celebrating another great set of GCSE results.

Billy Bryant (18), of Moray Drive, Slough, achieved three A* grades in Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry, and Bs in English Language and English Literature. Billy had been unable to finish his GCSEs at school due to health reasons.

He said: "I am so happy - now I want to stay at Uxbridge College and study A Level Mathematics and Sciences. I couldn't sleep last night waiting for the results. The teachers here are the best I have seen - they help you so much. Without them, I would not have got the grades I got."

Patrycja Bartoszek (19), of Staines, achieved A* grades in ICT and Mathematics, A grades in Biology and Chemistry, and a B in English Language.

Patrycja said: "I am very happy - I was not expecting these results. I also wanted to do this for my parents. I am still deciding what to do next."

Trishna Dharel (17), of Oxford Avenue, Hayes, got A* in Mathematics and Chemistry, A grades in Biology and Physics, and a B in English Language. She also achieved a B grade in AS Level Mathematics last week.

Trishna, who lived in Nepal before moving to the UK to study, said: "I was nervous waiting for the results but I am feeling great now. It's unbelievable. I want to become a doctor and am now planning to study Mathematics and Science at A Level at Uxbridge College."

Arkadiusz Prymula (17), of Western Avenue, Perivale, got A*s in ICT and Mathematics, Bs in Biology and Physics, and a C in English Language. He moved from Poland to the UK 18 months ago and hopes to become a pilot.

He said: "It was hard studying at first as I had to improve my English, but I am pleased with the results - although I am disappointed I did not get an A in Physics. I want to become a pilot - in Poland it is much harder because you have to join the army first and there is only one commercial school for pilots."

April Rose Pesa (17), of Royal Lane, Uxbridge, achieved an A* in Mathematics, A grades in Biology, Chemistry and Physics, and a B in English Language.

Pavithira Sriharan (20), of Exeter Road, South Harrow, got an A* in Mathematics, As in ICT, Biology and Chemistry, and a C in English Language.

Ion Costisanu (20), of New Road, Bedfont, Feltham, got seven GCSEs including Russian - one of the three languages he speaks. He has been in the country for two years, previously living in Moldova. He achieved A* grades in Mathematics and Russian, an A in ICT, and B grades in English Language, English Literature, Biology and Physics.

Hiwad Nasimi (19), of Hollywood Garden, Hayes, got six GCSEs including two A*s for Dutch and Mathematics, A grades for Biology and Chemistry, and Bs for English Literature and Physics. He will be doing A Levels at Uxbridge College next year and wants to study Engineering Science at university.

Dr Darrell DeSouza, Vice Principal for Curiculum and Standards at Uxbridge College, based in Park Road, Uxbridge, said: "This year's solid performance in GCSEs is the icing on the cake following the recent news we've become London's best college for educating young people for the third year in succession**.

"As ever at Uxbridge College we have seen some young people who have not had the easiest start - they may not have thrived at school or have needed help with English - make tremendous progress and succeed in their exams. Our female students have done particularly well in achieving higher grades this year.

"Many of these GCSE achievers are now going on to A Level, BTEC and other courses at Uxbridge College, where they will be joined by new students from all over west London. I think this year's queues for enrolment already show that news of our outstanding award from Ofsted, as well as Beacon status, has filtered through to students and their parents."

Uxbridge College GCSE students sit their exams after one year of study - as opposed to two for school pupils - which is why they usually take around five subjects, compared to 10 at school.

* Overall pass rate at grades A*-G was up 1% on the previous year at 97%, with higher grade passes (A*-C) also improved by 1%.

* In Information and Communication Technology (ICT) pass rates at grades A*-C stand at 93%, up 2% on 2008 - with 73% receiving A*-B grades.

* English results matched last year's strong performance with English Language at A*-C up 2% at 64%, and English Literature at 69%.

* 100% achievement at A*-C in foreign languages Arabic, Dutch, German, Russian and Persian.

* Students sat a total of 1,044 GCSEs.

**Best College in London for young people claim on the basis of highest success rate for 16-18 year olds.

October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015