Uxbridge College students met LINK counsellor Richard Littlewood. Pictured with him, from left to right are Terry Howard, Teodora Maicarieva, Rahisa Ismail and Asim Chaudhry.Students at Uxbridge College have chosen a counselling service for young people to benefit from a range of fundraising activities.LINK Counselling Service in Uxbridge offers a chance for people aged 13-25 years to talk over any

LINK-800-IMG_2500Uxbridge College students met LINK counsellor Richard Littlewood. Pictured with him, from left to right are Terry Howard, Teodora Maicarieva, Rahisa Ismail and Asim Chaudhry.Students at Uxbridge College have chosen a counselling service for young people to benefit from a range of fundraising activities.

LINK Counselling Service in Uxbridge offers a chance for people aged 13-25 years to talk over any issues which are concerning them including loneliness, anxiety, depression, family life, relationship, debt, or problems at school.

Students at the College chose the service to fundraise for from a range of local charities and organisations.  They willl be running a series of events including auctions, raffles, sales and sponsored activities.

The confidential service is delivered mainly by volunteers, including a team of 24 volunteer counsellors.  The funds raised will be used to purchase additional training and development resources for the team of volunteer counsellors.

Lisa-Marie Hayes, President of the Student Voice at Uxbridge College, said: “We chose LINK to fundraise for because it helps people who are the same age as many of us at Uxbridge College.  It can be hard dealing with life whatever your age, and knowing there is somewhere you can go for help no matter what is going on is so important.  Not everyone gets the support they need from friends and family so we need to make sure service like this can keep on going.”

Councillor David Simmonds, Deputy Leader of the Council and Lead Member for Education and Children's Services, said: "Counselling can really help young people who are experiencing difficulties and we are grateful to the students at Uxbridge College for choosing to support our work.  Their consideration and hard work will enable even more young people to benefit from Link's services and get through tough times."

* For more information about LINK or to make an appointment phone 01895 238884.  Also see linkcounselling.googlepages.com.

Comments from people who have used LINK:

Female, age 24. “I found LINK a very safe place to come to, and the staff very welcoming.  It was hard at first being in counselling, but after a while I gained confidence in myself and started to feel happier and calmer.  I found that whatever I said, the counsellor would never judge me, and I didn’t have to worry I would hurt his feelings like you do with family and friends.  You can be as open as you like.  I found counselling was the only place that I could truly trust in.  Counselling gave me a chance to discuss how I felt during what can only be described as a dark period in my life.  It took time but it helped me immensely and I reached the point where I felt happy to be alive again.”

Female, age 25. “I needed support through a hard time in my life and I had no-one else I could really turn to.  I had a choice of places to go for counselling and picked LINK because it was for my age group.  My counsellor made me feel very relaxed and at ease to talk in my own time, and she was sensitive to my needs and issues.  I found it useful to have a specific time each week to come, where I knew I would receive support.  I felt I was helped to come to my own decisions and conclusions.”

Male, age 25. “I found out about LINK by searching on the internet when I was feeling very low and depressed and wanted some help.  Seeing a counsellor helped me change the way I was thinking about certain issues so I could feel more positive.  The book they gave me on self esteem was also really useful. Coming to LINK definitely made a difference.”

Female, age  25. “I came to LINK with post-natal depression and anxiety after my doctor suggested counselling might help.  I realized that talking can make a difference - and getting feelings into the open helped me feel normal again.  I found the sensitive and caring approach relaxing and helpful.  All in all I came for 10 months.”

Female, age 19. “I needed someone to talk to and my doctor suggested I came to LINK.  I had a warm welcome every time and it was like talking to a friend that would listen and not judge.”

Female, age 22. “I was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after a bad experience and my mum suggested I came along.  At first I was very anxious, but my counsellor made me feel very comfortable really quickly.  Everything is confidential and they don’t tell anyone what you say.  I was also given a useful information booklet about PTSD.  I’m really thankful for the support I received over the three months I came.”

Female, age 18. “I had been getting anxious and panicky, not feeling myself, and was unable to cope with everyday life.  The counselling service was fantastic over the four weeks I came and really helped.  I would definitely come back if I needed support again.”

News

November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
December 2015