Level 3 Award in Portable Appliance Testing (2377-22)
City & Guilds does not set entry requirements for this qualification. However, It is expected that candidates should be familiar with electrical systems and hazards of electricity.
A good level of English is required.
Who is the course for
This qualification is aimed at Level 3 qualified or practising electricians who would like to demonstrate competence in undertaking practical inspection and testing of electrical equipment in line with the IET Code of Practice for In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment.
- Understand the statutory and non-statutory requirements relevant to the management of electrical equipment maintenance.
- Understand the electrical units of measurement associated with in-service inspection and testing of electrical equipment.
- Understand how equipment construction and classification reduces the risk of electric shock.
- Understand the procedures for the in-service inspection and testing of electrical equipment.
- Understand how to carry out combined inspection and testing.
- Understand the information contained in documentation in-service inspection and testing of electrical equipment.
Book required: Code of Practice for In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment (4th edition) ISBN: 978-1-84919-626-0 approx £55.
The course will comprise of theory sessions and a series of practical activities where candidates will have the opportunity to use a variety of programmable and manual PA test meters: Seeward, Fluke, Megger and Martindale.
Suitable personal protective equipment (PPE) is compulsory in the workshop and may be purchased from Amazon, B&Q or locally at All Weather Corner, Hayes tel: 0208 573 0300.
Please note the overalls should be navy colour and are described as workshop or warehouse coats at many outlets. Safety boots are also required.
How is the course assessed
- Candidates must successfully complete one online multiple choice test (open book) â duration 1 hr 45 minutes., the exam has 50 questions.
- Complete one short practical test covering learning outcome 7 of the in-service inspection and testing of Electrical Equipment.
Where next - Further Studies
Various courses in electrical installation
Where next - Job Opportunities
Portable Appliance Tester, adding to the services provided to customers in your role as an Electrician.
How to Apply
You can enrol and pay online for this course. Please click the orange Enrol Now button below.