Turning (Lathes) - Intermediate Level
Basic level of experience working on a lathe, either in the work place or as part of a course.
A good level of English is required.
Who is the course for
Anyone that wishes to enhance their skills further e.g. apprentices, hobbyist, trainees and enthusiast.
Course units include:
- How to use the machinery safely, workshop safety and basic information about turning
- Cutting speeds, turning tools and practical considerations
- Use of dial indicators and Micrometers to accurately set-up and measure work piece
- Different work holding devices, 4 Jaw chucks and face plates
- How to read and understand engineering drawings and apply tolerances
- Planning of Project (TBA), taking into consideration work piece holding, accuracy needed and tool selection
- Carry out individual project
- Project sign off - inspect all parts made and complete an inspection report.
80% practical & 20% theory
Suitable personal protective equipment (PPE) is compulsory in the workshop and may be purchased from Amazon, B&Q etc.
Please note the overalls should be navy colour and are described as workshop or warehouse coats at many outlets.
How is the course assessed
Project will be marked by the tutor and a College Certificate of Successful Completion will be awarded. If however the tutor does not feel that a candidate is not yet competent at this level then a College Certificate of Attendance will be awarded.
Where next - Further Studies
- Introduction to CNC Machining
- AutoCad 2014
- BTEC Level 3 in Mechanical Engineering (day release)
- 3D Modelling & Digital Printing
Last updated: 7 July 2016.
How to Apply
You can enrol straight away by one of the methods below. You do not need to complete an application form.
- By telephone - call 01895 853333 to enrol using your Visa, MasterCard, Visa Debit, Maestro or Delta card.
- In person come along to the Uxbridge Campus. We are open Monday to Friday between 9am and 4pm. Please remember to bring your payment with you as you will need to pay your fees when you enrol.