Raindance Accelerated BTEC Level 5 HND in Moving Image (leading towards entry to a Raindance Masters Degree in Film )
GCSE English at grade A*-C (grade 9 - 4) and a full Level 3 qualification such as BTEC, A Level or an Access Course.
Some knowledge of filmmaking or photography with an interest in the video production process is advantageous.
Who is the course for
This course is for those who wish to pursue a career in the film industry such as screenwriting, directing, producing or cinematography. Students will build a foundation in all pathways and upon successful completion and approval, will have the opportunity to progress onto a one-year Masters programme with Raindance in their third year. Through Raindance, students will have the opportunity to attend renowned courses delivered by industry professionals and attend networking events to develop further opportunities.
Students enrolled on the Raindance Accelerated HND Diploma will be given a complimentary pass to the Raindance Film Festival as well as Raindance membership, giving access to exclusive events, online forums and much more.
Raindance is an independent film festival and film school that operates throughout major cities, including London, Los Angeles, New York, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Budapest, Berlin and Brussels. The London based film school offers a rich catalogue of commercial courses in filmmaking, from screenwriting to cinematography. It also offers a unique Postgraduate Degree in Film through negotiated learning.
All students study common modules in their first year. This builds the foundation of the study programme:
HND - Year 1 Modules:
- Contextual studies for creative media production
- Research techniques for creative media production
- Practical skills for moving image production
- Film studies
- Camera and lighting techniques for moving image production
- Development and techniques for film and video editing
- Promotional video production
- Script writing for moving image fiction.
Raindance Year 1 Modules:
- Saturday film school
- Filmmakers foundation certificate
- Directors foundation certificate
- Writers foundation certificate
- Technical foundation certificate
- Basic cinematography
- Hands on directing 1
- Hands on directing 2
- Directing actors
- The script coach series.
In the second year, students start to specialise in specific areas of filmmaking, developing their skills further and working in teams on industry-style projects.
HND - Year 2 Modules:
- Project design, implementation and evaluation
- Special subject investigation for creative media production
- Career development for the moving image industries
- Fiction production for the moving image
- Sound design for moving image production
- Producer for moving image production
- Director for moving image production
- Moving image documentary production.
Raindance - Year 2 Modules:
- Producers foundation certificate
- Documentary foundation certificate
- Comedy intensive with Steve Kaplan
- Lo-To-No budget filmmaking with Elliot Grove
- Saturday VR film school
- Create and market your web series
- Script analysis for directors
- The short film project
- Write and sell the HOT script.
* Units can be subject to change.
This course will be delivered at Uxbridge College (2 days) and at Raindance - London, at various times during evenings and weekends throughout the year. Students will attend specialist commercial courses at Raindance that will supplement the core elements of the course, to ensure content follows the latest industry practices.
Units are interlinked to replicate "real world" scenarios and offer the opportunity for students to build a range of skills to maximise employment opportunities.
How is the course assessed
Assessment is through a series of assignments including research modules, hands-on practical exercises and group projects.
Where next - Further Studies
Upon successful completion and approval, students can progress onto the Raindance Masters one-year programme in Film, allowing you to obtain a Masters Degree within 3 years of starting this course.
Students can enter employment in a wide range of roles within the film industry.
Where next - Job Opportunities
Careers include screenwriting, directing, producing, documentary filmmaking or cinematography.
Students will attend college for 12 hours per week over two days per week. In addition to this, they will be required to attend various professional courses at Raindance throughout the year. These run during evenings and weekends, and provide students with the skills they need to complete projects, and continue onto a Masters programme.
Students will have the opportunity to attend the annual NAB Show in Las Vegas and visit the Hollywood Studios including Universal and Warner Bros. NAB the largest annual conference and expo for media and entertainment professionals.
* This is an optional trip and is subject to additional fees that are not included by the student loan.
Please click here to view the Terms and Conditions for our HE students.
Last updated: 4 January 2017.
How to Apply
To apply for a course choose one of these methods:
- Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
- Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to:
Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.
- Uxbridge Campus: Course Starting Mon 25 September 2017
Duration: 64 Week(s)
Where: Uxbridge Campus
When: Monday-Friday 09:00 to 17:00