Who is the course for
This course focuses on the applications in real project scenarios, of the PRINCE2 methodology and concepts. It deals with processes for the management of budgets, schedule, risk, quality, changes, and the delivery of benefits for which the project was established in the first place. A PRINCE2 Fundamentals certificate is required before starting this course, and is also a prerequisite for sitting the Practitioner certification examination.
The contents are in five primary sections:
1) Characterisations and types of project (week 1)
- project definition
- specifying requirements and benefits
- scoping the project
- addressing project âstakeholders".
2) Planning (weeks 2, 3 & 4)
- planning strategies
- project breakdown structures (products, work elements, costs and resources)
- dependency management
- cost estimating and budgeting.
3) Scheduling (weeks 5, 6 & 7)
- schedule structure
- schedule types
- creating a schedule
- schedule analysis and optimisation
- communicating the schedule.
4) Monitoring and control (weeks 8, 9 & 10)
- defining a project baseline
- performance analysis
- change management
- risk management.
5) Records management and reporting (spread over all weeks).
- what records are critical and how best to retain and present them
- approaches to document management
- capturing lessons learned.
The subject will be covered by a combination of lectures, discussions of real project situations and their corresponding project control requirements, and practical exercises using commercial project control software. Candidates are encouraged to bring their own projects to the class for discussion and evaluation of project control solutions.
How is the course assessed
Assessments will be determined by a series of short test papers during the course and computer-based exercises using the project control software provided
Where next - Further Studies
- PRINCE2 Project Management Fundamentals qualification.
- PRINCE2 Project Management Practitioner qualification.
- Guild of Project Controls offers a range of certification grades that can also be linked to selected areas of expertise â e.g. planning and scheduling, cost management and forensic project analysis.
Where next - Job Opportunities
For further Information, please contact the Information, Advice & Guidance team on 01895 853333.
Last updated: 8 July 2016.
How to Apply
You can enrol and pay online for this course. Please click the orange Enrol Now button below.