BTEC Level 3 90 credit Diploma/Extended Diploma in Public Services
5 GCSEs grade A*-C (grade 9 - 4) including English and maths, or a relevant Level 2 course (with distinction) including English and maths. You will also need to provide a good school report/reference.
Who is the course for
This course is for anyone wishing to gain employment in the Uniformed Public Services, e.g. Police, Fire, Ambulance, Prison Service, Private Security Services, Armed Forces, Revenue and Customs.
Yr 1 course = 90 credits
Yr 2 course = additional 90 credits (total 180 credits)
Course units include:
- Government policies and the Public Services
- Leadership and teamwork in the Public Services
- Citizenship, diversity and the Public Services
- Understanding discipline in the Uniformed Public Services.
Optional units include:
- Physical preparation, health and lifestyle for the Public Services
- Outdoor and adventurous expeditions
- Skills for land/water-based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Police powers in the Public Services
- Aspects of the legal system and law-making process
- Land navigation by map and compass.
- Outdoor activities will form an important part of the programme.
Lectures, workshops, group work, practical sessions and a range of outdoor activities.
How is the course assessed
Assignments include reports, projects, presentations, practical work, oral work and time constrained assignments.
Where next - Further Studies
Progress from the 90 credit Diploma to the Extended Diploma in Public Services and then onto a higher education course.
Where next - Job Opportunities
You can gain employment in The Police or Armed Forces, as a firefighter, paramedic or in a range of sport, leisure and business organisations.
For further information, please contact our Information, Advice and Guidance team on 01895 853333 or email
Last updated: 9 November 2016.
How to Apply
To apply for a course choose one of these methods:
- Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
- Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to:
Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.
- Uxbridge Campus: Course Starting Mon 04 September 2017
Duration: 1 Year(s)
Where: Uxbridge Campus
When: Monday-Friday 09:00 to 17:00