Uxbridge College students, who complete their GCSEs in one year, are celebrating their results this year.
At College students either take GCSEs for the first time or re-sit them, usually taking up to five subjects and potentially progressing to A-levels or vocational courses.
Amanda Washbrook, Head of Uxbridge College Academy, the College department which teaches A-levels, GCSEs and Vocational Science, said: “Unlike in schools, Uxbridge College’s GCSE students have just one year to study and sit their exams which is why they usually take up to five subjects. They may be taking GCSEs for the first time, perhaps having come from overseas, missed school because of health problems, or achieved lower grades than they wanted for other reasons. Again this year we are delighted to see so many GCSE achievers now in a position to move on and pursue the futures they really want.”
Top 10 achievers at Uxbridge College this year include:
* Ibrahim Malik (17), Uxbridge College’s top performer this year. He achieved A* grades in Maths, Chemistry and Physics, and A grades in ICT and Biology and will be going on to take A-levels.
* Aidin Kazemizadeh (17), (pictured right above) of Wembley, who achieved A* grades in Maths, Biology and Chemistry, an A in Physics and a C in English. Aidin, who came to the UK from Iran to study, will stay at Uxbridge College to study A-levels and plans to become a doctor.
* Vlad Bunys (19), (pictured left above) of Chiswick, achieved an A* in Chemistry and A grades in Statistics, Biology and Physics. Vlad, who came back to college to improve his results, plans to continue his studies at Uxbridge College at A-level.
* Syeda Fatima (21), of Greenford, achieved grade As in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English and a B in Maths. She plans to stay at Uxbridge College to take A-levels including in Biology and Psychology.
* Edward Ridgley (19), of High Wycombe, achieved A grades in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics, and a D in English. He plans to take A-levels in Physics, Maths and Further Maths at Uxbridge College.
The 2015 pass rate at Uxbridge College, which is number one College in London for success rates for 16-18 and 19+, was 98% at grades A*-G. Headline figures for individual subjects at A*-C pass rates included: English Literature, 64%; ICT, 76%; Media, 83%; Physics, 71%; Chemistry, 71%, and Statistics, 89%.
*Source: Skills Funding Agency - Education and Training National Success Rate Tables for 13/14, published April 2015.