Smart Home Installation (Electrical) - PT Saturdays
Qualified electrical contractors/specifiers or engineers from various construction related disciplines.
Candidates who are currently undergoing/completed training in these areas will also be considered.
A good level of English is required.
Who is the course for
This course is for candidates working in the engineering sector who wish to update their skills to specify, design, install and maintain automation systems in domestic or commercial buildings. The course will benefit companies and individuals that wish to align their businesses with these realities and prepare for the growing demand in this area.
- Introduction to home automation (domotics)
- Planning a home automation (domotics) project
- System hardware and set up
- Designing an installation
- Wiring up the system
- System integration and programme upload
- More advanced programming and scheduling
- Heating/cooling and light sensor control
- Security and access control
- Graphics displays and energy monitoring.
- Powerpoint presentations
- Hardware/software demonstrations
- Practical system specification and design activity
- Practical system wiring and installation activity
- Practical system programming and test activity
- Assisted self study project; design of a system for a small part of a building of your choice e.g. home, workplace, gym etc.
Candidates will be required to carry out programming during the course and so access to a Windows PC would be highly desirable to get the full benefit. If candidates have a Laptop with the Windows operating system installed then they can bring it in so that they can connect to the system, otherwise they should bring in their program on a memory storage device; Some Apple Macs have also Windows OS installed, sometimes even on a separate processor - this may work but is not guaranteed.
How is the course assessed
If the tutor deems you competent, at the level that has been taught, then you will be awarded with a Certificate of Completion endorsed by Domotics Controls Ltd and Uxbridge College.
Where next - Further Studies
Various in the Building Services sector.
Where next - Job Opportunities
Various, including electrical contractors, custom installers/system integrators, electrical engineering consultants, energy management consultants, disabled persons support consultants, quantity surveyors.
Each student should bring their own PC laptop with wi-fi, and will be provided with copies of the presentation and other associated materials, as well as all software necessary for practicing system programming and diagnostics.
Last updated 23 August 2018
How to Apply
To apply for a course choose one of these methods:
- Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
- Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to: Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.