EAL Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installation - PT Evening
Candidates require a good level of maths and English – this will be assessed in the form of a 45 minute written test, where candidates would need to achieve a score of at least 70% to be offered a place. The test will cover basic maths principles such as transposition of formula, fractions, percentages, areas, perimeters, SI unit conversions and squares/square roots. In addition you will be asked to complete an English gap fill exercise and write about 3 paragraphs to check your level of written English.
Who is the course for
- Health and safety in building services
- Principles of electrical science
- Electrical installation technology
- Installation of wiring systems and enclosures
- Understanding how to communicate with others within building services engineering.
The course will comprise of theory and practical sessions. Theory is delivered through blended learning which may include face to face and some online learning including Google classroom, I-GVS, Zoom and other online learning platforms. The mode of delivery will be governed by the Covid-19 guidelines adopted by the college at that time and may vary throughout the course.
Suitable personal protective equipment (PPE) is compulsory in the workshop and may be purchased from Amazon, B&Q etc. Please note the overalls should be navy colour and are described as workshop or warehouse coats at many outlets. Safety boots are also required.
Candidates will also require the following books:
- Linsley, Trevor, Electrical Installation Work: Level 2: EAL Edition, 978-0-367-19561-8, approx £25
- IET On-Site guide BS7671:2018 ISBN: 9781785614422 (£25 approx).
How is the course assessed
4 x online multiple choice examinations, a number of practical and written assignments need to be completed throughout this course. All assessments must be completed and handed in by the deadline dates that will be provided to you by the tutor. Candidates will receive:
- one free resit for all online exams – all future exams will be charged at £50 each.
- one free resubmission for all written assignments – all future resubmissions will be charged at £50 each.
If a candidate does not attend or fails any of their scheduled practical assessments these will need to be rescheduled and charged at a cost of £100 each.
Where next - Further Studies
Candidates normally progress onto the EAL Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installation course. There are also a number of other CPD training courses available:
- PAT Testing
- Part P Building Regulations
- Installation and maintenance of Solar Photovoltaic Installations
Where next - Job Opportunities
Candidates will not be recognised by the electrical sector until they complete the Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installation.
Attendance is 2 evenings per week (18:00 to 21:00) and one Saturday a month (09:00 to 16:00) Candidates are expected to have an attendance of no less than 85%. If your attendance falls below this level you will be at serious risk of failing the course. If this poor attendance persists without good cause you may be withdrawn from the course.
- This is an “Intensive Learning Programme” that requires 90% - 100% attendance.
- Students are expected to undertake a substantial amount of self -study between sessions, particularly in the preparation for exams and assignments.
- There are a number of exams and assessments throughout the course – candidates will be given a Maximum of 3 opportunities to resit each exam/assessment. Failure to pass/show up for these 3 resit dates will result in the candidate failing the entire course.
- In order to achieve the qualification, candidates must pass all elements of the course within the current academic year – there will be no opportunity for any resits/resubmissions after this. However, serious personal issues that arise that may adversely affect attendance and consequently completion of the course - these will be considered on a case by case basis.
This is a full cost commercial course and all students pay fees, no concessions are available.
‘Fee refunds for commercial courses will not be awarded after two weeks before the scheduled start date of the course, unless the course is cancelled by the College.’
Certification is based upon the achievement of the passing the course content and paying the fees in full.
PLEASE NOTE If you have made an application between 11 July and 24 August, Sanjay will contact you on his return to the office from 24 August onwards
Last updated 8 July 2020
How to Apply
This course requires an informal telephone interview. Please click the orange button below to fill out the application form with your details and we will be in touch to arrange a time to contact you.