BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma / Diploma in Engineering (Mechanical) (QCF)
3 GCSEs grades A*-C (grade 9-4) and 2 at grade D (grade 3) including English, maths (A*-C or grade 9-4), science (A*-C or grade 9-4), and two of the following - design technology, business and ICT
BTEC Level 2 First Extended Certificate/ Diploma in Engineering with overall PP and GCSE maths grade A*-C(grade 9-4), plus a good school report commenting on attendance, punctuality, behaviour and commitment.
Who is the course for
This course is for students who are currently seeking employment at technician level in the mechanical engineering.
Year 1 course = 60 credits
Year 2 course = additional 60 credits (total 120 credits)
Year 1 units include:
- Health and safety in the engineering workplace
- Mathematics for engineering technicians
- Mechanical principles and applications
- Engineering drawing for technicians
- Properties and applications of engineering materials
- Applications of mechanical systems in engineering.
Year 2 units include:
- Communications for engineering technicians
- Engineering project
- Further mechanical principles and applications
- Principles and applications of fluid mechanics
- Further mathematics for engineering technicians.
A balance of lecturer, laboratory/practical work, tutorials, projects and assignment work.
How is the course assessed
All the units are assessed by course assignments which meet BTEC grading criteria for Pass, Merit and Distinction.
Where next - Further Studies
Progress from the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma to the Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (subject to academic performance and attendance) or an apprenticeship. After completing the Diploma, progress onto a higher education course.
Where next - Job Opportunities
You can go into employment in the mechanical engineering sector.
Last updated: 12 January 2018
How to Apply
To apply for a course choose one of these methods:
- Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
- Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to:
Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.
- Uxbridge Campus: Course Starting Mon 03 September 2018
Duration: 1 Year(s)
Where: Uxbridge Campus
When: Monday-Friday 09:00 to 17:00