BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma / Extended Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (RQF)
5 GCSEs grade A-C (grade 9 - 4) including English, maths (grade B/5 or above) and science (grade B/5 or above) plus A- C (grade 9 - 4) in two of the following - design technology, business and ICT, or BTEC Level 2 First Extended Certificate/Diploma in Engineering with DM and a distinction in ‘Maths for Engineering’ with GCSE maths (grade B/5 or above), plus a good school report commenting on attendance, punctuality, behaviour and commitment.
Who is the course for
This course is for students who are interested in a career in mechanical engineering.
Year 1 course = 7 units Year 2 course = 8 units
- Engineering principles
- Delivery of engineering processes safely as a team
- Engineering product design and manufacture
- Applied commercial and quality principles in engineering
- Calculus to solve engineering problems
- Electronic devices and circuits
- Static mechanical principles in practice.
- Micro-controller systems for engineers
- Specialist engineering project
- Further engineering mathematics
- Mechanical behaviour of metallic materials
- Mechanical behaviour of non-metallic materials
- Dynamic mechanical principles in practice
- Principles and applications of fluid mechanics
- Mechanical measurement and inspection technology.
A balance of lectures, laboratory/practical work, tutorials, projects and assignment work.
How is the course assessed
Engineering Principles, Engineering Project Design and Manufacture and Micro-controller Systems for Engineers are assessed externally.
All other units are internally assessed by coursework.
Where next - Further Studies
After completion of this course you may transfer onto the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Mechanical Engineering and then you may go to into higher education (subject to academic performance and attendance).
Where next - Job Opportunities
You can go into employment in the mechanical engineering sector.
Last updated: 12 January 2018
How to Apply
To apply for a course choose one of these methods:
- Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
- Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to: Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.