BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma / Extended Diploma in Electrical / Electronic Engineering (RQF)
GCSE grades 4-9 in five subjects including Mathematics, Science, English Language and 2 of the following - Design Technology, Business and ICT.
Or BTEC Level 2 First Extended Certificate in Engineering with overall MM, and merit in Unit 10 Mathematics for Engineering, with GCSE grades 4-9 in Mathematics.
And a good academic reference or school report.
Who is the course for
This course is for students who are interested in a career in Electrical/ Electronic Engineering.
This course is equivalent in size to three A Levels. It has 15 units of which 7 are mandatory and 3 are externally assessed. All units must be passed to achieve the qualification.
- Engineering Principles (External Examination)
- Delivery of Engineering Processes Safely as a Team (Internal Assessment)
- Engineering Product Design and Manufacture (External Assessment)
- Applied Commercial and Quality Principles in Engineering (Internal Assessment)
- A Specialist Engineering Project (Internal Assessment)
- Microcontroller Systems for Engineers (External Assessment)
- Calculus to Solve Engineering Problems (Internal Assessment)
- Further Engineering Mathematics (Internal Assessment)
- Electrical Machines (Internal Assessment)
- Electrical Power Distribution and Transmission (Internal Assessment)
- Electronic Devices and Circuits (Internal Assessment)
- Analogue Electronic Circuits (Internal Assessment)
- Digital and Analogue Electronic Systems (Internal Assessment)
- Static Mechanical Principles in Practice (Internal Assessment)
- Programmable Logic Controllers
Each unit is studied through workshop and classroom activities. There is a weekly tutorial and private study to enable students to work on their own.
How is the course assessed
Units 1, 3 and 6 will be assessed externally by the awarding body (Pearson). The remaining units will be assessed internally by course assignments and tests.
Where next - Further Studies
After successful completion of this course you may transfer onto the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Electrical/ Electronic Engineering and then you may go to into higher education, or an apprenticeship.
Where next - Job Opportunities
You can go into employment in the electrical/ electronic engineering sector.
How to Apply
To apply for a course choose one of these methods:
- Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
- Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to: Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.