BTEC L3 Ext Dip In Eng (Mech) NQF- 2yr
GCSE grades (A*-C) 9-5 in five subjects including Mathematics, Science, English Language and 2 of the following - Design Technology, Business and ICT.
Or BTEC Level 2 First Extended Certificate in Engineering with overall DM, and distinctions in Unit 10 Mathematics for Engineering and Unit 11 Engineering Science, with GCSE grades 4-9 in Mathematics and English Language.
And a good academic reference or school report.
Who is the course for
This course is for students who are interested in a career in Mechanical Engineering.
Equivalent in size to three A Levels. 15 units of which 7 are mandatory and 3 are external. All units must be passed to achieve the qualification.
- Engineering Principles (External)
- Delivery of Engineering Processes Safely as a Team (Internal)
- Engineering Product Design and Manufacture (External)
- Applied Commercial and Quality Principles in Engineering (Internal)
- A Specialist Engineering Project (Internal)
- Microcontroller Systems for Engineers (External)
- Calculus to Solve Engineering Problems (Internal)
Optional Units (8 of the following)
- Further Engineering Mathematics
- Computer Aided Design in Engineering
- Mechanical Behaviour of Metallic Materials
- Mechanical Behaviour of Non-metallic Materials
- Static Mechanical Principles in Practice
- Dynamic Mechanical Principles in Practice
- Principles and Applications of Fluid Mechanics
- Thermodynamic Principles and Practice
- Electronic Devices and Circuits*
Each unit is studied through workshop and classroom activities. There is a weekly tutorial and private study to enable students to work on their own.
How is the course assessed
All the units are assessed by external examinations and course assignments, which meet BTEC grading criteria for Pass, Merit and Distinction.
Where next - Further Studies
University, the Level 4 HNC in Mechanical Engineering at Uxbridge College.
Where next - Job Opportunities
Apprenticeship or employment in the engineering sector.
How to Apply
To apply for a course choose one of these methods:
- Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
- Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to: Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.