BTEC Level 1 Diploma in Vocational Studies
Young people who show an interest in wanting to improve their English & Maths skills.
An interview with a member of staff from the Access to FE team plus a good reference from school/college is mandatory. Students will be expected to commit to the course and display good attendance & punctuality.
Who is the course for
Students who are interested in boosting their English, maths and vocational skills. Students who want to progress onto a Level 2 vocational course or employment the following year.
This is a ‘carousel’ course which gives learners a taste of different vocational subjects such as art & design, sport, public services, IT and business studies. It is perfect for learners who have not yet made up their mind about which subject area they would like to study. On completion of the course, learners can progress to a L2 qualification in one of these subject areas.
The study programme is made up of the following strands:
- Portfolio Work: BTEC Level 1 Certificate in Introductory Vocational Qualifications
- GCSE or Functional Skills maths & English
- Work Placement – 36 hours minimum
- Employability-focused tutorials
- Vocational units in IT, business, art & design, sport and public services.
Lectures, practical workshops and research. This course will allow students the opportunities to develop skills in a variety of different areas within the college.
How is the course assessed
Candidates have to collect a portfolio of evidence. Assessment consists of both performance and knowledge evidence. Performance evidence is through direct observation of the candidate, products or outcomes of the candidate’s work, such as items that have been produced or worked on.
Maths & English will be assessed through exams.
Where next - Further Studies
Students may progess onto a Level 2 course.
There are a number of enrichment activities throughout the year including:
- Community projects
- Sporting activities
Last updated 21 June 2018
How to Apply
To apply for a course choose one of these methods:
- Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
- Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to: Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.