Skill for Independence and Work (various levels)
There are various levels and students will be placed on the right course following an assessment during interview.
Who is the course for
This course is designed for school leavers and young adults with various learning difficulties, who want to improve their independence and employability skills.
Students will study functional skills in English and maths at an appropriate level (between Entry Level 1 and Level 1), alongside one of the courses below:
- Pearson Entry Level Certificate in Personal Progress (Entry 1)
- Pearson Entry Level Certificate in Skills for Independence and Work (Entry 2)
- NOCN Qualifications in Using Employability Skills (Entry 2/Entry 3).
Units may include: developing independent living skills: being healthy, shopping for daily living, using communication skills in the workplace and undertaking an enterprise project. In addition to their course, students will work on non-accredited topics to improve their individual, personal, social and living skills.
These may include drama, sport, art, cooking, citizenship and travel training. There will also be an opportunity to take part in a work placement supported by our Employment Coach.
Students are supported in class, at lunch and break times and on off-site activities by our team of learning support assistants. We are also able to support on a 1-1 basis, where required, and provide a Communication Support Worker.
Where next - Further Studies
Course tutors will help students to prepare for their next steps. There may be opportunities to progress onto another course within Foundation Studies or vocational courses within the College.
Where next - Job Opportunities
There are also opportunities leading to paid, voluntary or supported employment.
For further information please contact Clare Husbands, Section Manager on 01895 853464.
Last updated date: 4 September 2018
How to Apply
To apply for a course choose one of these methods:
- Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
- Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to: Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.