Skills for Independence & Work
No formal qualifications are needed. You may contact us yourself or be referred by your school or a Careers Adviser.
You will have an assessment at interview.
Who is the course for
Skills for Independence and Work 1 : this course is for school leavers and young adults with moderate learning difficulties who are interested in improving their independence and work skills.
Skills for Independence and Work 2: this is a higher level course for students who may have already completed Skills for Independence and Work 1 or for school leavers and young adults with moderate learning difficulties who wish to improve their employability skills.
Skills for Independence and Work 1:
- Learners work towards
- Edexcel Entry 2 Certificate in Personal and Social Development
- Edexcel Entry 2 Certificate in Skills for Independence and Work
Skills for Independence and Work 2
- Learners work towards
- NOCN Entry 3 Certificate Towards Enabling Progress
- NCFE Entry 3 Certificate in Exploring Employability
Within both courses learners will have the opportunity to:
- Work towards improving their Functional Skills (English/Maths/ICT) at levels appropriate to the individual learner
- Undertake work placements which are supported by our Employment Coach.
Students are supported in class, at lunch and break times and on off-site activities by our team of learning support assistants. We are also able to support on a 1-1 basis where required and give CSW support. Our Employment Coach will also support, before, during and after the work placements.
Individual, pairs and small group work
How is the course assessed
Portfolio; presentations; examinations
Where next - Further Studies
Throughout the year the course tutors will help you to prepare for your next step when you complete the course. You may be able to progress to another course within Foundation Studies or Vocational courses within the college.
Where next - Job Opportunities
Paid, voluntary or supported employment.
For further information please contact Clare Husbands, Section Manager on 01895 853464.
Last updated date: 4 September 2019
How to Apply
To apply for a course choose one of these methods:
- Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
- Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to: Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.