AIM Awards Level 3 Extended Diploma in Games, Animation & VFX Skills
5 GCSEs grade 9-4 (grade A*- C) preferably including both English & maths or a relevant Level 2 qualification at merit or above.
Who is the course for
Designed by industry specialists including Sony, Ubisoft and Pinewood studios, the NextGen Level 3 Diploma in Games, Animation and VFX Skills ensures young people gain the right skills and knowledge and are "industry ready’". It will equip you with a solid foundation in art, design, maths and programming skills, which are highly desirable to industry.
Course units include:
- VFX fundamentals for the games, animation and VFX industries
- 3D tools: principles and practice
- Core principles of game design
- Art fundamentals for the games, animation and VFX industries
- The games, animation and VFX industries
- Maths fundamentals for the games, animation and VFX
- Fundamental product programming skills
- Fundamental animation skills for the games, animation and VFX industries
- Production management.
This Qualification has been designed with a clear progression route to a Degree, HND or Higher Level Apprenticeships. The Qualification covers the fundamental skills in games, animation and visual effects as well as essential work skills that have been identified by employers as invaluable for new people coming into these industries.
This course is classroom taught and you will have opportunities to develop your creative skills through instructor led workshops. Over the two years, you will work in teams on project briefs and game jams designed to develop team working, communication and critical thinking skills.
How is the course assessed
You will work on industry based briefs, replicating the studio work environment via project based learning. This will be assessed via an online portfolio. Subjects such as maths and programming are taught in the context of the art, design and the creation of Games, Animation and VFX and will be part assessed as exams.
Where next - Further Studies
Pearson BTEC Level 5 HND in Computing, specialist university courses or higher level apprenticeships.
Where next - Job Opportunities
This course is nationally recognised within industry and commerce. Successful candidates can expect to find employment opportunities in software development, computer animation and visual effects industries. This is vocational education supported by industry and delivered by elite colleges, selected by an industry panel with an excellent track record of academic achievement and working collaboratively in partnership with industry.
Last updated: 31 October 2018
How to Apply
To apply for a course choose one of these methods:
- Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
- Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to: Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.