Functional Skills English (Pre GCSE): Entry 3
There are no set entry requirements. Before starting the course, you will be assessed for suitability and to agree the level you can study. Prior qualifications will be used where appropriate.
Who is the course for
Functional Skills is for students who need to improve their reading and writing skills. On the course, you will develop your writing of various pieces, which demand accuracy in spelling, grammar and punctuation. You will learn to write for real-life situations and gain confidence in reading, writing and speaking so that this will have a positive impact on future-prospects
You will enhance your reading and writing skills in life and on your course through a variety of tasks. These include:
- writing formal letters (job application letters, letters of complaint)
- writing emails or letters
- writing articles
- improving spelling, punctuation and grammar
- learning how to analyse texts at Level 1
The course is delivered over 10 weeks of classroom taught lessons for 2 hours a week. You will be expected to combine this with a further 2 hours of guided study a week. Your teacher will assess Speaking and Listening in the classroom. At the end of the course, you will take an exam in Reading and Writing. All three elements need to be passed to gain the full qualification.
How is the course assessed
Speaking and Listening – Assessed in class Reading - Exam Writing – Exam
Where next - Further Studies
On successful completion of the Entry 3 course, you can look to progress to Level 1.
If you require more information, you can contact Candy White – School Administrator on 01895 471130 (Term time only), or the College Information and Guidance team on 01895 853333
How to Apply
To apply for a course choose one of these methods:
- Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
- Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to: Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.