BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate in Health and Social Care
3 GCSEs grade D (grade 3) or above including English and maths, or a pass in a relevant Level 1 course.
Who is the course for
This course has been designed to provide a broad education as a basis for further training, further and higher education or for moving into employment in health & social care.
Students develop the general skills, knowledge and understanding
Course units include:
- Human Lifespan Development (External exam)>>
- Health and Social Care Values
- Effective Communication in Health and Social Care
- Healthy Living (External exam)
- Promoting Health and Wellbeing
- The Impact of Nutrition on Health and Wellbeing
- Equality and Diversity in Health and Social Care
- Individual Rights in Health and Social Care
- Human Body Systems and Care of Disorders
- Creative and Therapeutic Activities in Health and Social Care
The qualification is based on a compensation model which means that students do not have to pass every unit to achieve success on the course. The points from all the units are taken into account at the end of the course to determine the final grade which can be:
- Level 1 Pass
- Level 2 Pass
- Level 2 Merit
- Level 2 Distinction
- Level 2 Distinction *
Success in the 2 core units Human Lifespan Development (External exam) and Health and Social Care Values will determine whether the student passes the overall course at Level 1 or Level 2
Theory and practical sessions, group discussions and individual research.
How is the course assessed
Taken over 1 year a mixture of core, mandatory and optional units which are assessed through both external paper based examination and coursework.
As with the previous BTEC First (QCF) the student is only allowed one submission of work and then if conditions are met they may have one resubmission. However; unlike the previous BTEC, they will not be allowed a retake if they do not achieve the pass at this point. Instead they will be given an unclassified for that unit. This will not mean that they fail the whole course but we will have to keep a careful eye on what they get in the other units in order to make sure that they do achieve a pass overall.
We will still offer work experience for the students but they do not have to complete this to pass the course. Obviously this course will be part of the bigger study programme including Maths and English.
Where next - Further Studies
BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary/Diploma/Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care.
Where next - Job Opportunities
Employment as an assistant care worker in a hospital or nursing home.
Last updated: 9 November 2016.
How to Apply
To apply for a course choose one of these methods:
- Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
- Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to:
Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.
- Uxbridge Campus: Course Starting Mon 04 September 2017
Duration: 1 Year(s)
Where: Uxbridge Campus
When: Monday-Friday 09:00 to 17:00