UAL Level 3 Diploma / Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production & Technology (Film and Television)
5 GCSEs grade A*-C (grade 9 - 4) or above, or a relevant Level 2 qualification. Previous experience in a media related subject is beneficial but not essential.
You will attend an interview at the college and be required to provide evidence of the following:
- a piece of written work relating to media
- a recent school report from your current or previous place of study (covering attendance rates and classroom
- predicted grades and/or prior qualifications
- any practical media related work (if applicable).
Who is the course for
This course is for those who are creative and wish to develop their interest in digital video production. The course is designed with a dual focus in mind to help you gain the necessary skills for both university and to enable you to work in the creative media industry.
The course is full time and normally spread over two years, but for some students there is the option to only study for one year.
Over the course of the two years you will be learning about a variety of different areas within the creative media production sector. The course consists of a variety of projects relating to digital video production.
The most successful students on the course are those who are willing to learn and are passionate about creating videos for the film and television industries. This is achieved by learning about and following a three stage process: pre-production, production, and post production. In addition to this you will also study the theoretical aspects of film and television, which will help to inform your decisions in the creative production process.
The creative media production course is part of a full study programme that we offer at the college. This means that students may be required to study English and Maths (up to a grade C at GCSE level) alongside media. This to ensure that students are better equipped for life beyond college either at university or working in industry.
The study programme also includes directed learning; where the students are encouraged to perform additional tasks in order to improve their understanding of the subject.
In the first year you will study the following units:
- Introduction to media processes and technical skills
- Introduction to design and research skills in creative media production
- Introduction to professional practice in creative media production
- Critical and contextual awareness in creative media production
- Investigating audio production and technology
- Investigating visual production and technology
- Investigating interactive production and technology
- Developing a creative media production project
Students will be working in industry standard studios, on location and be given access to professional edit facilities.
You will be working on productions in practical, theoretical and written ways, delivering producation portfolios and showreels of practical work.
How is the course assessed
Continual assessment across a braod range of project breifs through regular feedback and action planning in both practical and written assignments.
Where next - Further Studies
Students completing the first year Diploma may continue onto the second year extended Diploma. After completing the Extended Diploma students will have the equivalent of 3 A Levels. The majority of our students go on to study a media related course at university. You could also progress onto our Raindance Accelerated BTEC Level 5 HND Diploma in Moving Image, which can lead towards entry to
a Raindance Masters degree in film.
Where next - Job Opportunities
Students are able to search and apply for a broad range of roles within the creative media industry. Previous alumni have gone onto work in industry at Pinewood Studios and onto apprenticeships with national employers such as Sky, where theyre paid to learn and work in creative media
Last updated: 12 January 2018
How to Apply
To apply for a course choose one of these methods:
- Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
- Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to:
Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.
- Uxbridge Campus: Course Starting Mon 03 September 2018
Duration: 1 Year(s)
Where: Uxbridge Campus
When: Monday-Friday 09:00 to 17:00