UAL Level 2 Diploma in Games Design and Animation
4 GCSEs grade D (grade 3) or above including English, or a relevant Level 1 qualification.
You will attend an interview at the college and be required to provide evidence of the following:
- a piece of written work relating to games or animation
- a recent school report from your current or previous place of study (covering attendance rates and classroom behaviour) * prior qualifications and/or predicted grades
- a sketchbook or other examples of artwork.
If successful at interview we will offer you a place on the course and you may be invited to a taster session at the college prior to enrolment.
Who is the course for
This course is for those who wish to work in the games or animation industries in a creative capacity, developing original game concepts, characters, environments and narratives. The course is designed to introduce pre-production and production processes related to these areas.
This is a full-time one year course. Throughout the course, you will learn about the structure of the games and animation industries, as well as job roles within these. You will also undertake research and pre-production techniques which will inform the development of character and environment artwork, 2D animation, 3D models, stories and audio using industry-standard software tools and practices. Course content includes:
- Introduction to Creative Media Methods and Skills
- Introduction to Production Techniques in Creative Media
- Understanding an Audience in Creative Media Production
- Contextual Research for Creative Media Production
- Exploring Audio Production and Technology
- Exploring Visual Production and Technology
- Exploring Interactive Media Production and Technology
- Personal Project and Presentation in Creative Media Production.
How is the course assessed
Units are assessed against a three-point system which highlights how well a student is progressing. Feedback is given for each task to help students understand how work can be improved. Seven of the above units are formatively assessed, and one is summatively assessed. This provides an opportunity to develop skills throughout the year and then effectively use them to produce a formally assessed project at the end of the year.
Where next - Further Studies
UAL Level 3 Diploma / Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production & Technology (Game Design).
Where next - Job Opportunities
This course is nationally recognised by the games industry and, with an appropriate portfolio of work, could lead to junior positions in art, animation or design. There is also the potential for positions in the animation, film and television industries using similar skills gained on the course.
Last updated: 12 January 2018
How to Apply
To apply for a course choose one of these methods:
- Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
- Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to: Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.