Introduction to Vehicle Fault Diagnostics - PT Evening
Basic understanding of the mechanical and electrical operation of motor vehicles
Who is the course for
Candidates who would like an introduction into the fault finding and diagnostics of vehicles. This course would also be useful for those attending or aiming to take the C&G 4270-13 Level 3 Diploma, as it covers industry standard diagnostic procedures that must be used during the NVQ.
- Introduction to the course, college rules and polices -Health and Safety, Tools for the job, Build a Portfolio, (H&S knowledge assessment, Workshop tour)
- Introduction to engines- engine component recognition and basic principles of engine components (Theory -Practical)
- Engine four stroke cycle fundamentals leading to mechanical misfire & cylinder leakage testing (Theory -Practical)
- Introduction to basic principles of electronic ignition systems (Theory -Practical)
- Electrical misfire/sensor testing. (Theory -Practical)
- Introduction to vehicle chassis system faults Braking, ABS, Steering and Suspension components (Theory -Practical)
- Diagnosing chassis system faults. (Theory -Practical)
- Understanding basic wiring diagrams and the correct use of a multi-meter. How to use diagnostic equipment and understanding Diagnostic trouble codes (Theory)
- Modern Vehicles wiring - History of OBD- Multiplex/CANbus. (Online exam - Theory)
- Vehicle Diagnostics overview. (Online exam retake and Sign off Portfolio)
Students are expected to take notes. Handouts are given to students throughout the course Practical work will be undertaken throughout the course, in fully equipped workshops, to support theory lessons delivered in the classroom.
How is the course assessed
A Final exam to be taken by students at week 9 of the course. Candidates will be expected to build a portfolio of work undertaken throughout the course.
Where next - Further Studies
Where next - Job Opportunities
- Trainee Master Technician
- Main dealer.
This is a full cost commercial course and all students pay fees, no concessions are available. Once you have clicked the Enrol Now button and completed and submitted your online application, Sanjay Suri, Commercial Manager will be in touch to discuss your application further. PLEASE NOTE If you submit an application between 25 July and 22 August, Sanjay will contact you on his return to the office on 27 August. Many thanks.
Last updated 29 July 2019
How to Apply
This course requires an informal telephone interview. Please click the orange button below to fill out the application form with your details and we will be in touch to arrange a time to contact you.