IMI Introduction to Auto Electrics
Who is the course for
An introduction into auto electrics and electric fault diagnosis. This course improves your chances of starting out or progressing as a motor mechanic or auto electrician. It is also ideal for a hobbyist or someone wishing to carry out their own repairs. This course is endorsed by IMI Awards Ltd. On completion candidates can progress to the Vehicle Fault Diagnostics course.
You will follow a course of study on the following:-
- Safety and tools for the job
- 12 volt lead acid battery/gel battery
- Starting systems
- Charging systems
- Ignition system
- Testing and installing accessories (including soldering)
- Security (immobiliser and alarm systems)
- Fault finding
- Modern vehicle wiring with multiplex/canbus
- Vehicle diagnostics
The teaching and learning methods will be by lecture, practical workshop tasks, tutorials, group-work, projects, assignments and self managed study.
Suitable personal protective equipment (PPE) is compulsory in the workshop and may be purchased from Amazon, B&Q or locally at All Weather Corner, Hayes, Tel: 020 8573 0300.
Please note the overalls should be navy colour and are described as workshop or warehouse coats at many outlets, Safety boots are also required.
How is the course assessed
The course is assessed by way of a practical portfolio which will be completed throughout the course and a short on line test at the end of the course. On successful completion candidates will receive an IMI endorsed certificate.
Where next - Further Studies
Candidates may wish to consider the IMI Level 2 Diploma in Auto & Mobile Electrical Principles or Engine Fault Diagnostics. This would provide the skills required to carry out a majority of auto electrical work.
Where next - Job Opportunities
This course would improve your chances of entering or progressing within the motor Industry as a motor mechanic or auto-electrician. Also would be ideal for a hobbyist or someone wishing to carry out their own repairs.
- For prices please click on the Prospectuses link above and view our part-time guide.
- This course also has two Thursday sessions (22/5 and 26/6) to allow for the two bank holidays during this period.
Last updated: 12 January 2018
How to Apply
You can enrol straight away by one of the methods below. You do not need to complete an application form.
- By telephone - call 01895 853333 to enrol using your Visa, MasterCard, Visa Debit, Maestro or Delta card.
- In person come along to the Uxbridge Campus. We are open Monday to Friday between 9am and 4pm. Please remember to bring your payment with you as you will need to pay your fees when you enrol.