Introduction to Auto Electrics (IMI Endorsed) - PT Evening
A good level of English is required.
Who is the course for
An introduction into auto electrics and electric fault diagnosis. This course would improve your chances of entering or progressing as a motor mechanic or auto electrician. It is also ideal for a hobbyist or someone wishing to carry out their own repairs. This course is endorsed by IMI Awards Ltd. part of the Sector Skills Council for the motor industry.
You will follow a course of study on the following:-
- Health and Safety/ Tools for the job, Build a Port-Folio, (H&S Phase test, WS tour)
- 12Volt lead acid battery-Gel batteries (Phase test,WS-Practical)
- Starting circuit. Inertia, Pre-Engaged, Gear reduction, (Phase test,WS-Practical)
- Charging Circuit. Alternators, Dynamos, Smart charge, (Phase test,WS-Practical)
- Ignition Systems. Mechanical, Electronic, ECU controlled, (Phase test,WS-Practical)
- Auto Electrical test equipment, soldering. (Phase test,WS-Practical)
- Cables, connections and installing accessories, Ohm’s Law, (Phase test,WS-Practical)
- Security-Tracker, Immobiliser, Alarm systems. Fault finding-Open/Short circuit (Demo)
- Modern Vehicles wiring with Multiplex/CANbus. (Online exam, covering up to date)
- Vehicle Diagnostics. History of OBD and related acronyms (Sign off Port-Folio)
Various handouts and diagrams are handed out during the course.
Practical work will be undertaken throughout the course, in fully equipped workshops, to support theory lessons delivered in the classroom. We have three modern vehicle workshops in the Faculty of Technology which features vehicle lifts, electronic test equipment, a new dyno-meter facility and a variety of Modern cars.
Lesson objectives are discussed for approx. 1 hour 15mins weekly. During this time, students are encouraged to write notes. Handouts will also be made available to encourage differentiation.
Scenarios or faults are set up in the workshop for practical work and further discussions.
Handouts are given out regularly, especially with longer texts such as Multiplex wiring. This is designed to aid in-class discussion.
An intermediary set of phase tests are given to cover the first seven weeks of the course. This will assess learners' varied abilities and progress within the course, and will identify any students who may require differentiated support.
How is the course assessed
The course is IMI Endorsed, QAA Certificated.
Interim tests are given to students throughout the course and a final exam to be taken by students at the end of the course.
Where next - Further Studies
Candidates may wish to consider the IMI Level 2 Diploma in Auto & Mobile Electrical Principles or Engine Fault Diagnostics. This would provide the skills required to carry out a majority of auto electrical work.
Where next - Job Opportunities
This course would improve your chances of entering or progressing within the motor Industry as a motor mechanic or auto-electrician. Also would be ideal for a hobbyist or someone wishing to carry out their own repairs.
For prices please click on the Prospectuses link above and view our part-time guide.
- This course also has two Thursday sessions (22/5 and 26/6) to allow for the two bank holidays during this period.
Once you have clicked the Enrol Now button and completed and submitted your online application, Sanjay Suri, Commercial Manager will be in touch to discuss your application further.
PLEASE NOTE If you submit an application between 26 July and 23 August, Sanjay will contact you on his return to the office on 23 August. Many thanks.
Last updated 9 July 2018
How to Apply
This course requires an informal interview.
To arrange an assessment and interview time please contact Information, Advice & Guidance on 01895 853333.