Introduction to Auto Electrics (IMI Endorsed) - PT Evening
A good level of English is required.
Who is the course for
An introduction into auto electrics and electric fault diagnosis. This course would improve your chances of entering or progressing as a motor mechanic or auto electrician. It is also ideal for a hobbyist or someone wishing to carry out their own repairs. This course is endorsed by IMI Awards Ltd. part of the Sector Skills Council for the motor industry.
You will follow a course of study on the following:-
- Health and Safety/ Tools for the job, Build a Port-Folio, (H&S Phase test, WS tour)
- 12Volt lead acid battery-Gel batteries (Phase test,WS-Practical)
- Starting circuit. Inertia, Pre-Engaged, Gear reduction, (Phase test,WS-Practical)
- Charging Circuit. Alternators, Dynamos, Smart charge, (Phase test,WS-Practical)
- Ignition Systems. Mechanical, Electronic, ECU controlled, (Phase test,WS-Practical)
- Auto Electrical test equipment, soldering. (Phase test,WS-Practical)
- Cables, connections and installing accessories, Ohm’s Law, (Phase test,WS-Practical)
- Security-Tracker, Immobiliser, Alarm systems. Fault finding-Open/Short circuit (Demo)
- Modern Vehicles wiring with Multiplex/CANbus. (Online exam, covering up to date)
- Vehicle Diagnostics. History of OBD and related acronyms (Sign off Port-Folio)
Various handouts and diagrams are handed out during the course.
Theory is delivered through blended learning which may include face to face and some online learning including Google classroom, I-GVS, Zoom and other online learning platforms. The mode of delivery will be governed by the Covid-19 guidelines adopted by the college at that time and may vary throughout the course.
Practical work will be undertaken throughout the course, in fully equipped workshops, to support theory lessons delivered in the classroom. We have three modern vehicle workshops in the Faculty of Technology which features vehicle lifts, electronic test equipment, a new dyno-meter facility and a variety of Modern cars.
Lesson objectives are discussed for approx. 1 hour 15mins weekly. During this time, students are encouraged to write notes. Handouts will also be made available to encourage differentiation.
Scenarios or faults are set up in the workshop for practical work and further discussions.
Handouts are given out regularly, especially with longer texts such as Multiplex wiring. This is designed to aid in-class discussion.
An intermediary set of phase tests are given to cover the first seven weeks of the course. This will assess learners' varied abilities and progress within the course, and will identify any students who may require differentiated support.
Suitable safety boots and overalls will be required to carry out practical activities in the workshop and may be purchased from Amazon, B&Q etc. The candidate must provide their own boots and overalls. Please note the overalls should be navy colour and are described as workshop or warehouse coats at many outlets
How is the course assessed
The course is IMI Endorsed, QAA Certificated.
Interim tests are given to students throughout the course and a final exam to be taken by students at the end of the course.
Where next - Further Studies
Introduction to Vehicle Fault Diagnostics - PT Evening
Where next - Job Opportunities
Various and would be ideal for a hobbyist or someone wishing to carry some of their basic own auto-electrical work and/or repairs.
- This is a full cost commercial course and all students pay fees, no concessions are available. ‘Fee refunds for commercial courses will not be awarded after two weeks before the scheduled start date of the course, unless the course is cancelled by the College.’
Certification is based upon the achievement of the passing the course content and paying the fees in full.
PLEASE NOTE If you have made an application between 17 July and 22 August, Sanjay will contact you on his return to the office from 23 August onwards.
Last updated: 8 July 2020
How to Apply
This course requires an informal telephone interview. Please click the orange button below to fill out the application form with your details and we will be in touch to arrange a time to contact you.