BTEC Level 3 90 credit Diploma/Extended Diploma in Public Services
5 GCSEs grade 9-4 (grade A*- C) preferably including both English & maths or a relevant Level 2 qualification (with distinction) including English and maths. If necessary references may be taken up.
Who is the course for
This course is for anyone wishing to gain employment in the Uniformed Public Services, e.g. Border Force, Police, Fire & Rescue, Ambulance, Prison & Probation, Security Industry, Royal Navy, Army, Royal Air Force, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, Ministry of Defence, National Crime Agency.
The course looks at the emergency and armed services in their role to protect society and defend UK interests abroad.
Yr 1 course = 90 credits Yr 2 course = additional 90 credits (total 180 credits)
Course units include:
- Government policies and the Public Services
- Leadership and teamwork in the Public Services
- Citizenship, diversity and the Public Services
- Understanding discipline in the Uniformed Public Services.
Optional units include:
- Human behaviour in the Public Sector / Crime and its effects on society
- Outdoor & adventurous expeditions / Land navigation
- International institutions & Human Rights / Impact of war, conflict & terrorism
- Security Procedures / Police powers in the Public Services
- Response to emergency incidents / Management of major incidents
- Physical preparation / Fitness testing for the Uniformed Public Services.
Outdoor activities and fitness will form an important part of the programme.
Transferable Skills Students will be challenged on their team work, leadership, communication skills ability to problem solve, while developing knowledge for the Uniformed Public Services.
Lectures, career visits, workshops, group activities, practical sessions and a range of outdoor experiences.
How is the course assessed
Assignments throughout the course include reports, projects, presentations, practical scenarios, oral work and time constrained assignments along with a range of outdoor activities.
Where next - Further Studies
Progression from the 90 credit Diploma to the Extended Diploma in Public Services. On completion students can then go onto higher education including university studies in Emergency Planning and Management, Terrorism Studies, Criminal Psychology, Fire Scene Investigation.
Where next - Job Opportunities
Students should look to gain employment with Emergency and Armed Forces e.g. Border Force, Police, Fire & Rescue, Ambulance, Prison & Probation, Security Industry, Royal Navy, Army, Royal Air Force, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, Ministry of Defence, National Crime Agency.
How to Apply
To apply for a course choose one of these methods:
- Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
- Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to: Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.