Sport and Exercise
BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma /National Extended Diploma in Sport
5 GCSEs grade A*-C (grade 9 - 4) including English, maths and science at grade C (grade 5) plus an excellent school report/reference.
Who is the course for
This course is for those interested in a sport or fitness related career, or keen to progress onto a sports studies at higher education course.
Yr 1: 540(GLH) Yr 2:540 (GLH) Learn
- Sports leadership
- Research methods in sport
- Practical sports performance
- Application of fitness training
- Skill acquisition
- Coaching for performance
- Exercise for specific groups
- Work experience in active leisure
- Rules and regulations The exam units include:
- Principles of anatomy and physiology
- Fitness training and programming for health, sport and well-being
- Development of provision of sport and physical activity
- Investigating business in the sport and active leisure industry You will also have the opportunity to study for a YMCA Fitness Instructor Award (Level 2 in year two) and other various Level 1 coaching qualifications (at an additional cost) and work experience.
Lectures, workshops, group work, practical sessions, field trips and work experience.
How is the course assessed
External assessment through written examinations in 4 units (2 per year). Internal assessments on all other units to include reports, projects, presentations, practical work, oral work and time constrained assignments.
Where next - Further Studies
Progress from the National Foundation Diploma to the National Extended Diploma in Sport or apprenticeships in sports development or fitness instructing/personal training. After completing the National Extended Diploma, you can progress onto a higher education course
Where next - Job Opportunities
Employment in high-level roles in the health and fitness industry such as fitness instructor, leisure centre attendant, manager or a sports coach.
How to Apply
To apply for a course choose one of these methods:
- Online - click the Apply Now button, fill out the form and submit
- Post - download an application form here , or use the form in the prospectus. Fill it out and return it to: Student Records/Admissions, Uxbridge College, Park Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1NQ.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.